Eric Wagner, MS, MD
Emory University School of Medicine
Office: Emory Orthopaedics and Spine Center
Additional Contact Information
59 Executive Park South
Atlanta, GA 30029
- Graduate School, MSc, Biomedical Sciences, Mayo Clinic Graduate School, Rochester, MN
- Medical School, University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Residency, Mayo Clinic Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rochester, MN
- Fellowship, Mayo Clinic Division of Hand Surgery, Rochester, MN
- Fellowship, Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Fellowship, Harvard Division of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Boston, MA
Dr. Wagner was born in San Francisco, California, but moved to multiple cities (in California, Colorado and Texas) prior to college. He completed his undergraduate education at University of California, Davis, where he lettered for 3 years in basketball and majored in biochemistry and molecular biology. He then completed medical school at the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine.
Following medical school, he completed his orthopaedic surgery residency training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota (Ranked #2 in by US News and World Report). After residency, Dr. Wagner was selected to train in the top ranked Hand and Microvascular Surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Following this year, Dr. Wagner was selected to the train in the prestigious Harvard’s International Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship at Massachusetts General, and Brigham and Women’s Hospitals in Boston, Massachusetts. As part of the international component of the Harvard fellowship, Dr. Wagner trained with world leaders in shoulder arthroplasty and arthroscopy in Nice, France, and in Annecy, France.
Dr. Wagner will be seeing patients at Emory Orthopaedic Office at Executive Park. He will also spend a portion of his time at Emory University Orthopaedics and Spine Hospital in Tucker and Grady Memorial Hospital. His clinical interests include pathologies from the shoulder through the hand. He has published over 130 peer-reviewed journal articles, delivered over 200 presentations national and international meetings, authored over 10 book chapters, serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Hand Surgery GO as well as multiple committees at the American Society of Surgery for the Hand (ASSH). Additionally, he has received numerous grants to support his clinical and basic science research interests and has received numerous national and international awards (see below) for many of his upper extremity research investigations.
In his free time, Dr. Wagner enjoys fly fishing, tango and swing dancing, skiing, playing and watching basketball, traveling and reading.
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster for 2016 American Association of Hand Surgery (AAHS) Annual Meeting, 2016
- Best Paper Award (1 of 3) at the European Shoulder and Elbow Society Annual Conference, Milan, Italy, 2015
- Best Poster Award at the Residents and Fellows Section of the 2014 American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) Annual Conference, 2014
- Mayo Clinic Patrick J. Kelly Traveling Fellowship Award for Top Basic Science Paper, 2014
- Delegate at the American Medical Association (AMA) Annual Meeting representing the American Association of Hand Surgery (AAHS), 2014-present
Member of American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH), 2014-present
- Resident Representative Member of the Research Management Committe of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSEH), 2014-present
- Member of the Committee on Scientific Research for the Residents/Fellows Assembly for the American Medical Association (AMA), 2014-present
- Member of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS), 2013-present
- Member of Mid America Orthopaedic Association (MAOA), 2013-present
- Member of American Medical Association (AMA), 2013-present
- Member of the Orthopaedic Research Committee (ORC), 2013-present