Clifton Meals, M.D.
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Emory University School of Medicine
Office: Grady Memorial Hospital
Additional Contact Information
Emory Orthopaedic Trauma & Fracture
80 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
- Medical School, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- Residency, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Fellowship, The Curtis National Hand Center, Baltimore, MD
Clifton Meals, MD is interested in treating all problems affecting the elbow, forearm, wrist, and hand. He enjoys teaching and has developed modern educational material for students and patients. His academic interests include novel use of clinical photography and "wide awake" hand surgery. In his spare time, he enjoys woodworking, reading detective fiction, and spending time with his family.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Candidate Member
- American Association for Hand Surgery, Candidate Member
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Candidate Member
- Meals C, Meals RA. A history of surgery in the instrument tray: eponymous tools used in hand surgery. J Hand Surg Am. 2007 Sep;32(7):942-53. PMID:17826545.
- Benjamin ER, Jim J, Kim TJ, Meals C, Gritsch HA, Tillou A, Cryer HG, Hiatt JR. Acute care surgery after renal transplantation. Am Surg. 2009 Oct;75(10):882-6. PMID:19886127.
- Meals C, Wang J. Origins of eponymous orthopaedic equipment. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 Jun;468(6):1682-92. PMID:20069394.
- Meals C, Hattwick E. Mycobacterial infections of the hand and wrist: a review of current literature. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2011 Mar-Apr; 22(2):198-20.
- Meals C, Mullican BD, Shaffer CM, Dangerfield PF, Ramirez RP. Ketamine infusion for sickle cell crisis pain in an adult. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011 Sep;42(3):e7-9. PMID:21854993.
- Meals C, Benke M, Neviaser R, O’Brien J. The incidence of hypovitaminosis-D in hip fracture, a retrospective study. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2012 Nov-Dec;23(6):572-6.
- Meals C, Meals R. Hand fractures: a review of current treatment strategies. J Hand Surg Am. 2013 May;38(5):1021-31. PMID:23618458.
- Zhang A, Meals CG, Yu W, O’Brien J. Salvaged occipital-cervical fusion with adjunctive use of teriparatide. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2013 May-Jun;25(3):292-29.
- Schulte LM, O’Brien JR, Bean MC, Pierce TP, Yu WD, Meals C. Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism after spine surgery: incidence and patient risk factors. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2013 Jun;42(6):267-70. PMID:23805420.
- Meals C, Meals RA. Tendon versus nerve transfers in elbow, wrist, and hand reconstruction: a literature review. Hand Clin. 2013 Aug;29(3):393-400. PMID:23895719.
- Meals C, Meals RA. Sugar-Tong Forearm Splinting. Medscape Reference. Updated September 23, 2013. Available at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/80127-overview.
- Meals C, Yu W, Haines C, O’Brien J. Degenerative scoliosis and resulting stenosis - Surgical management. Seminars in Spine Surgery. 2013 Dec; 25(4):263-73.
- Meals C, Harrison R, Yu W, O’Brien J. Instrumented reduction of a fixed C1-2 subluxation using occipital and C2/C3 fixation: A case report. The International Journal of Spine Surgery. 2013 Dec; 7(1):e20-3.
- Schulte LM, Meals CG, Neviaser RJ. Management of adult diaphyseal both-bone forearm fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014 Jul;22(7):437-46. PMID:24966250.
- Douglas KC, Parks BG, Tsai MA, Meals CG, Means KR Jr. The biomechanical stability of salvage procedures for distal radioulnar joint arthritis. J Hand Surg Am. 2014 Jul;39(7):1274-9. PMID: 24831427.
- Meals C, Osterman M. The hand surgery fellowship application process: expectations, logistics, and costs. J Hand Surg Am. 2015 Apr;40(4):783-9. PMID: 25721239.
- Mantica A, Meals C, O’Brien J. Cervical Disc Replacement vs Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2015 Sep;25(3):209-16.
- Meals C. In brief: Ergonomic strategies for computer users with upper limb problems. J Hand Surg Am. 2015 Aug;40(8):1688-91. PMID: 26026353.
- Meals C, Roy S, Medvedev G, Wallace M, Neviaser RJ, O’Brien J. Identifying the Risk of Swallowing-Related Pulmonary Complications in Older Patients With Hip Fracture. Orthopedics. 2015 Dec;31:1-5. PMID: 26726985.
- Meals C, Fox B, Zhang L, Neviaser RJ. The effect of insertion technique and surgeon experience on the pullout strength of orthopaedic screws. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2016 Jan-Feb;27(1):69-71.
- Meals C, Castro N. Moss D. Efficient construction of volar wrist splints: a biomechanical study comparing splints of different thickness, material, and design. Provisionally accepted for publication in Hand. September 2015.
- Meals C, Segalman K. Suture-button reconstruction of the interosseous membrane: a review. Accepted for publication in Journal of Wrist Surgery. May 2016.