Neeru Jayanthi, M.D.
Associate Professor of Orthopaedics
Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Associate Director, Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
Emory University School of Medicine
Tennis Medicine Program
Office: Emory Orthopaedics, Sports & Spine at Johns Creek
Additional Contact Information
Emory Orthopaedics, Sports & Spine
6335 Hospital Pkwy
Johns Creek, GA 30097
- Medical School, Layola Stritch School of Medicine , Maywood, IL
- Residency, Rush- Illinois Masonic Family Practice , Chicago, IL
- Fellowship, Primary Care Sports Medicine, Indiana University and Methodist Sports Medicine , Indianapolis, IN
Dr. Jayanthi leads Emory's Tennis Medicine program and was voted by his peers as an "Atlanta Top Doctor" in 2018 for sports medicine as a non-surgical sports medicine specialist. He is a team physician for the Atlanta Braves, Georgia Tech University Tennis, Gwinnet Stripers (AAA baseball), head team physician at Johns Creek High School and the medical director for the Atlanta Legends Professional Football team. He has regularly provided medical care for the NFL Combines, Chicago Marathon and Division 1 NCAA athletics.
He is currently the President of the International Society for Tennis Medicine and Science (STMS) and a certified USPTA teaching professional. He served as a volunteer for the Association of Tennis Professionals for more than 15 years, a medical advisor for the Woman’s Tennis Association (WTA) Player Development Panel and he is on the commission for the International Tennis Performance Association. He was selected to the board of directors for the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM) and serves as a Consultant for the American Academy of Pediatrics Council (AAP) on Sports Medicine and Fitness, Aspen Institute Sport and Society Program, and Mom’s Team.
Dr. Jayanthi has won multiple AMSSM Foundation Research Grants for his collaborative research on early sports specialized training and overuse injury in young athletes. He was previously the medical director of Primary Care Sports Medicine at Loyola University Chicago for 12 years, where he was also voted a “Top Doctor” in the Chicagoland Suburbs prior to being recruited to Emory.
Dr. Jayanthi is a seasoned speaker for local, regional, national and international academy conferences for Sports Medicine, Tennis Medicine, USTA, USPTA and PTR. Dr. Jayanthi, has been featured and/or appeared on ESPN, NPR, New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Huffington Post WGN news Sports Radio, WGN-TV news “Medical Watch,”, ABC news, CBS national radio, WGN and CLTV “Living Healthy” TV show, XM radio and various other media outlets for his innovative research findings on junior tennis players and elite young athletes.
- Volunteer of the Year (tournament physician) for all volunteers (>1200) for service during one week ATP professional tennis tournament in Indianapolis, IN, 2007
- Recipient of the Dan Conroyd Award, Loyola University Athletic Department recognizes at Loyola staff member that has provided dedicated service and contributions to Loyola Athletics, 2009
- Best Research paper, 2011, Journal Medicine Science in Tennis. Jayanthi, NA, Dechert A, Durazo R, Luke A, “Training and Specialization Risks in junior elite tennis players”, Journal of Medicine Science and Tennis: February, 2011: Vol 16, No 1, pp14-20.
- “Top Doctors of Chicagoland Western Suburbs;” only primary care sports medicine doctor listed by Castle Connolly, 2014
- "Teaching Faculty of the Year" teaching award by the Loyola PMR residency program, 2015
- "Faculty of the Year" awarded by the Loyola-Cook County Family Practice Residency program, 2015
Organizational Leadership Memberships
- International Society for Tennis and Medicine Science (STMS), President, 2015 – 2019
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM), Board Of Directors,(including re-election in 2014 for another 2 year term),2012 – 2016
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM), Chair Membership Committee,
- American Academy of Pediatrics Council of Sports Medicine Fitness (COSMF), Consultant, 2014 – present
- Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Professional Tennis Tour Player Development Advisory Panel, Medical Advisor/Consultant, 2014 – Present